Serendipity

Friday, June 22, 2007

Druthers

A post in my friend’s blog tempted me to write this one.
I have always differentiated authors and artists ‘s work based on influences of great tumult and supreme serenity respectively.
I believe most of the authors are influenced by great tumult and artists rely on serenity to produce great works of art but not the other way around.

Authors discover and might even invent chaos in every thing and hence, ramble, cribb, whine, extol and these are converted into books, great books and masterpieces. They dwell in bedlam. Frustrations lead them to great thoughts. Desperation leads to frustrations. In fact beauty also leads them to desperation and so on and so forth. But they never want to run away from these. They have an urge to get deeper and deeper into the myriad of screwed up affairs. They never fail to add a feel of melancholic tinge even when they admire the beauty in their work (a simple common quote about beauty which I have come across in several books ‘It was so beautiful that it ached my heart or I bled or something similar’). They are deliberate, self indulgent, underrated perverts. (Well, these traits never appear as vices as long as they pen a book like ‘a personal matter’) They are these adorable charmers who write 1000 and odd pages instead of a mere para. But mind u, Iam not complaining and disparaging here. Their work keeps me busy, happy, unhappy, sleepy, teareyed, lighter, angrier. I adore them. I will remain indebted to them forever.whatever maybe the reason.
Well Artists on the other hand, would not chase or dwell into chaos eventhough most of them are craziness personified. All they want is to get away from the pandemoniacal routine. Serenity helps them to produce great works of art rather than a state of great tumult. (.You can refute logically but I don’t bother!).
Sharpening of pencils, selecting the paints, getting the perfect size canvass, making the canvass, thinking of colours, basking in the the beauty of the model, (they find beauty even in the curve of the fading petals, color of the blighted leaves), the feel of the canvas, the smell of the turpentine, mixing the colors, etc., all of these will aid them to achieve serenity by shutting the ramblings tight in some corner of the head. Albeit the corner would be entered later, say, after the painting.
They have to attain a certain serenity to produce great works of art. Being serene is not a difficult task for them because they dont feel sorry about running away from chaos. And when an artist forgets his tricks, he can only chop his ears.

2 Comments:

At 9:25 PM , Blogger Bit Hawk said...

Very thought-provoking indeed! Never analyzed much on these lines. But, yes, I agree with you. Now that I think about it, I realize that I loved painting as a kid and I am getting addicted to writing now :D

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger krupa said...

Very well written!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home